Homespun Chicory Root Syrup has up to 70% less sugar than honey, maple and agave making it a naturally sweet vegan alternative
Eating healthy can be hard, just last week the government advised us to reduce our portion sizes and sugary treats. That’s why Erica Sheehan, Founder of Homespun, is excited to introduce the honey alternative to her range of wholefoods.
But what is Chicory Root Syrup?It’s a delicate low sugar syrup gently extracted from fresh chicory roots and brings natural plant-based sweetness to your favourite foods and drinks without causing spikes in blood sugars. Plus, it’s high in gut healthy prebiotic fibre. Homespun Chicory Root Syrup will be your low sugar alternative for cooking, baking or in cold or hot drinks – add it to your autumn hot chocolate.
Erica says: “Since I discovered Chicory Root Syrup, I’ve enjoyed using whilst preparing so many family meals. You can use it in cooking and home baking, drizzled on porridge and pancakes and in drinks and dressings. It’s got a lovely delicate sweet taste with a fraction of the sugars found in other syrups. ”
Homespun Chicory Root Syrup at a glance:
- Up to 70% less sugar than honey, maple and agave
- High in prebiotic fibre
- Low glycaemic index – scientifically proven to keep blood sugars low*
- Plant-based and vegan friendly
- Light and delicate sweet taste
- Ideally suited to anyone monitoring sugar intake including diabetics
The Homespun range:
- Chicory Root Syrup. A nutritious alternative to high sugar syrups and sweeteners, extracted from the fresh chicory roots – one of the richest natural sources of prebiotic fibre. Delicious, delicate and versatile. Vegan, high fibre and low GI. Keeps blood sugars low. Enjoy as a honey or maple syrup alternative
- Quinoa Crunch with Pecan and Cranberry. A nutritious twist on granola, fusing organic quinoa pops, buckwheat, oats, sunflower seeds, chia seeds, flax seeds, coconut and topped with juice-infused cranberries, pumpkin seeds and pecan nibs – gluten and wheat free. Made in Co Cork.
- Quinoa Crunch with Goji berry, cashew and coconut. A nutritious twist on granola, blending organic quinoa pops, buckwheat, sunflowers seeds, chia seeds, flaxseeds, coconut and topped with tangy goji berries, coconut flakes and creamy cashew pieces. Gluten and wheat free. Made in Co Cork.
Erica was delighted this month to find out that the Guild of Fine Food has awarded Homespun with two Great Taste stars for 2020. “We received one star for our Quinoa Crunch with Pecan and Cranberry and one star for our Quinoa Crunch with Goji berry, cashew and coconut. The awards are most trusted and prestigious in the world of food. Judges include famous food writers and celebrated chefs and restaurateurs who this year spent 14 weeks tasting 12,777 entries from 106 countries.”
About Erica Sheehan:
Erica says: “I’ve always enjoyed experimenting in my kitchen, taking recipes and giving them a nutritious twist. The Homespun story began with my love for granola. Crunchy and delicious – but often excessively sweetened and devoid of nutrition. At home, inspired by recipes I spotted on blogs, I set about creating a healthier quinoa-based alternative.
For months Erica played around – baking quinoa pops, then fusing them with different seeds, nuts and berries. In a nod to its crispy texture, she named my granola Quinoa Crunch.
Not long after, Erica started a stall at a local farmers market. Every week, her Quinoa Crunches sold out – people just loved the taste! When health food stores started placing orders, she began to consider making a career in the food business. Erica soon took a leap of faith and started to nurture Homespun full-time.
The Quinoa Crunch range launched into independent retailers in Dublin such as Avoca and Donnybrook Fair and since then, Homespun has grown to supply stores all across Ireland, the UK and the UAE and Erica has now expanded her product range to offer Chicory Root Syrup. Her mission has always been clear; to create innovative, healthy and delicious food.
Shop online at https://www.homespun.ie/shop/chicory-root-syrup
Or see stockists nationwide including Supervalu, Nourish, Ardkeen, Evergreen, Donnybrook Fair and other independent health food stores and retailers.
Sweet and salty popcorn featuring our new Chicory Root Syrup
Sweet and salty popcorn is an epic flavour combo. Here’s the Homespun take on this classic– meaning it’s low sugar and low GI but just as addictive.
The delicate plant-based sweetness of the chicory works really well with salted popcorn, it’s sweet but not too sweet, and it gives your popcorn an extra crunch once it’s cooled.
80g freshly popped popcorn
Sea salt to taste
40g Homespun Chicory Root Syrup
40g coconut oil or butter, melted
Preheat your oven 180C (350F) and place popcorn into a large bowl. Season with salt.
In a little bowl whisk together Chicory Root Syrup and melted coconut oil or butter.
Pour over the popcorn and toss very well to coat evenly. Lay popcorn on a lined baking tray and bake for 5 minutes. Toss and bake for 5 – 10 minutes more; until golden. Allow to cool on the tray for a few minutes, then serve and enjoy.